Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Valerie - Introduction

Ha ha, well I guess we should introduce ourselves! I'll start!

My name is Valerie Juarez. I live in Sour Lake, Texas. I went to Hardin-Jefferson High School, and played in the high school band! I graduated in 2007, and I started at Lamar fall 2007, where I was awarded the Mirabeau Scholarship. I'm currently a Electrical Engineering and Computer Science double major. I'm currently the president of Lamar's chapter of the ACM.

In October 2007 I started working with INSPIRED (INcreasing Student Participation In REsearch Development). INSPIRED is a program funded by and NSF grant and directed by Dr. Peggy Doerschuk and Dr. Jane Liu. It's goal is to increase the participation of women and minorities in computing through research and outreach(http://cs.lamar.edu/inspired/). Through this program I have been exposed to many opportunities that have allowed me to gain experience and discover how vast the computing field is.

Because of INSPIRED I have come to appreciate and admire efforts to attract students into computing. I love the field that I am studying, and I know there are students who would love it too, but for many reasons, they may not consider computing as something they're interested or, even, something they are capable of doing. I think this project would be beneficial to those who are trying to show students that computing is something they should consider as a field of study and as a career.

I'm really excited about this project!! I expect to learn so much, and I hope to help create something that can be a benefit to this field!

-V

No comments:

Post a Comment